The Gentle Shepherd’s Power
See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power,
and his arm rules for him.
See, his reward is with him,
and his recompense accompanies him.
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:10-11
Our great God is described in many ways; he can do all things with great power and gentle tenderness. He created this universe from the faraway stars and planets down to the tiniest particle of sand that we walk on at the beach. He knows every microscopic piece of my body because he designed them.
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb Psalm 139:13
He knows the very thoughts in my mind what I will speak before I even say it, yet he desires relationship with his children and I am one.
Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon me, and he told me to say, “This is what the Lord says to the people of Israel: I know what you are saying, for I know every thought that comes into your minds. Ezekiel 11:5
From His Word, I know that he comes with great power! As the Creator he is in control. He is the Sovereign LORD. I take comfort in knowing that whatever I face in life I am not alone and ultimately the battle is his.
This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. 2 Chronicles 20:15
But what truly encourages my heart is knowing that as one of his children, a member of his flock, my shepherd gathers me in his mighty arms and carries me. It reminds of when I was a child, when I was hurt or upset and my father would pull me into one his big bear hugs. I can almost feel the comfort of being held in my father’s embrace, feeling warm and secure and hearing his heartbeat as I laid my head on his chest. In the Lord’s embrace I am warm and secure lying close to his heart and with each day that I spend time with him I feel closer to the heartbeat of a powerful yet loving God.