A beginning, Day 4
Wow! Day 4 already. Time sure flies when you are learning something new; a new skill, a new strength, a new attitude. This week has marked the start of greater dependence on God for something I have said I have asked Him to do in me, but I think maybe it was a less that honest request. I asked God to help me learn to exercise.
Yeah, I know it sounds kind of mundane, but you have to understand that like many people daily exercise is not something I have made a priority in my life. The mere idea of getting up a bit earlier to walk, run, do calisthenics was as far away from my to-do list as chocolate is from bitter herbs. I did purchase a treadmill last spring that I thought would be the answer to my dilemma. "Have it the house where I can use whenever I want," I said. I was determined and I searched high and low to find just the right one. The problem came when it was delivered and assembled. Not all of the parts were there. I had to wait for almost a month to get it completed and in the lag time I lost my gumption. The enemy had his way in my will power. Oh, I used it a couple of times, but my heart was just not in it anymore.
I have looked at that expensive piece of equipment everyday. It is a reminder of the desire I once had but the human weakness in that area was taking over. I cannot say for sure what it was four days ago that changed in me, but I know that the strength I have had and the willpower have come from God. Not that my flesh still is not fighting to stay in bed on these early fall mornings, but God is winning! He is the strength in my weakness. I praise Him for that!
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9, 10 NIV)
