Goals, Dreams and a Plan …
Looking back on this last year I have been mulling over what I have done, what I didn’t do, and what I have learned. While much of my daily life is the same, the way I choose to approach it has changed because I finally realized that having dreams, making goals is not the answer without a plan to accomplish them.
I confess that I did not take advantage of the wonderful opportunity I was blessed with when I was a high school graduate. I received a college scholarship that would have just about paid for everything I needed for four years. I could have gone to any college I wanted and studied any subject matter a chose. But, instead of taking that opportunity and running with it, I wasted it by being indecisive and unmotivated. I wasted four years and had pretty much nothing to show for it when I was done.
Now, 27 years later, I finally have focus. Instead of spending my time thinking ‘what if’ or ‘should have’ I am choosing to do something about it. In July of 2011 I enrolled in a degree completion program that allowed me to build on credits I earned in the past so I can finally move forward. I have constantly wished I could change the decisions I made. Although I know I cannot actually change the past, what I can do is improve the future. I quit dreaming and took action. One semester down, three to go!
During this process of growing I also realized I need to make a plan of action and work it. Dreaming and wishing will not change the outcome, but taking steps toward those goals will. For this year, I am setting my sights not only continuing the educational process, but I am working toward another lifelong dream. I am beginning piano lessons. I have always loved piano music and wanted to learn to play…so… I am going to give it my best shot. Like anything else I might want to do, I will not be able to do it without putting myself out there and trying. Wish me luck !
Albert Einsten was credited with a statement defining insanity:
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result.”
Let’s all avoid insanity!