New Year… So what’s new?

It’s been a whole year since the last time I blogged so surely there is something new to report. In 365 days of living, life must have made its appearance in some positive form or maybe even a less desirable interaction. So, on the eve of the dawning of yet another new year, let’s take a look back at where God has taken me in 2012, what I have experienced as well as lessons learned or maybe should have learned.
Yes, as I blogged last year, I have continued on with pursuing my dream of a college degree. At this time, I am just three classes shy of completion. Fifteen weeks of class time ahead and I will be a graduate! It almost doesn’t seem real. I have also continued with piano lessons. I will most likely never be a concert pianist, but I can play a bit of music, simple but fun, and I enjoy it. In my eyes, that is an accomplishment and it makes me happy.
I did make it through a whole year of work and life without any major illnesses or surgeries. In comparison to recent years that is huge! I am very thankful to God for that blessing in my life. My family has been healthy and nothing drastic has occurred, so again, very thankful.
One life lesson I have gained from my online college experiences is to be a better planner of my time. A little less procrastination and more pre-planning has allowed me to accomplish so much more. Between work, piano lessons, church, family and life in general I have had to be proactive to stay on target. I will not say I am always successful with organization but I have definitely improved in that area. If that was the only thing I gained from the college experience, it would almost make it worthwhile, but I have learned much more than that from my classes that I think will be useful in life and in work. I actually love learning new things, and I have enjoyed it thus far.
As a family, we have taken vacations and had more time to spend together this year which was awesome! We are getting closer and closer not only to my graduation May 4th, but to seeing our sweet daughter walk across the stage as a new college graduate, May 11th. She is an aspiring secondary level social studies teacher and I could not be more proud of her as she begins student teaching in two weeks. She has truly grown into a lovely young woman and I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for her and her fiancé. The wedding date is set for February 15, 2014! Yes, the planning has commenced!
A few of my friends and family have experienced loss this past year and although it was certainly difficult to watch them go through the pain, I counted it an honor to be able to stand by their side and walk the road with them. In this year, some have welcomed a new baby into their family. What a joy to be able to take part in that celebration! Others have been battling illnesses, job loss, or in even big moves because of a job move. It all is such a reminder of how life is truly a process; there is a joyful beginning, living in the middle and a tearful ending but it is all a part of God’s great plan. He is with us through it all bringing blessings of joy and comfort in times of sorrow.
Weddings, funerals, births, graduations, illnesses, and change each have been a part of life this year for those closest to me. For some, though, this year was just life as usual. The truth is no matter how mundane life seems, how exciting or how difficult it becomes, there are always reasons to celebrate and along with that there are sometimes occasions to mourn. I was blessed to be able to see God in all of them. My prayer for this coming year, 2013, is that with my eyes wide open and with a receptive heart I continue to observe and recognize the hand of God in everyday things as well as life’s extraordinary moments. Somehow, I want to impart that blessing of recognition to others by strengthening my relationship with Jesus and encouraging others to do the same.
May God bless us all in this New Year and always!