Wondering and Waiting... and Praying
I have been blessed in various amazing ways in my life. I have literally been allowed to witness miraculous workings of God and, at unbelievable awe-filled moments, I have been the recipient of miracles myself. But I wonder, why would God do that for me? Why would He go to such lengths to save my life? I have not always been a faithful servant. I have struggled like every other person I know with discerning His will for my life which is sometimes a moment by moment battle. I have certainly done, said, or thought things that are anything but worthy of His love, grace, mercy or acceptance. So I continue to ask, why would I be important enough for Him, the God of the Universe, to take such an interest?
Well here on this cold gray snowy Saturday morning, as I am sitting in the living room with Christmas tree glow all around, I am contemplating this very thought. I have had many questions over the last few years digging deeper into the "why" of such an inspired, yet undeserved blessing. It comes to mind, though not for the first time, that it may truly have nothing to do with me specifically. Maybe the miracle was to encourage someone else. Maybe the medical staff involved in the surgery. Maybe the people who were wondering and waiting in the hospital as the surgery took place. Maybe for the people who have heard the story of the surprise subdural hematoma and how its discovery has changed my outlook on life. Or just maybe every one of those individuals, and probably others I will never know, were all a part of God's great plan. This season of celebration of Christ's birth always brings thoughts about the "why's" of life.
The ripple effect of any story is broad and far reaching. As fleshy humans who live in this evil world we often look at ourselves, trying to imagine how something good or bad will influence our own lives when what we should be considering is how those events change the lives of those around us. Sometimes it is simply not about us. However, it is up to us to share these stories when we are called to so that others can be encouraged by the good or educated by the lessons learned through trials. The Christmas story is that pebble that was dropped intentionally in the water of life that has rippled through lives for thousands of years.
I know for me, I sometimes get tired of rehashing my story and I wonder if people are tired of hearing it. Why would they care about what happened to me? But, I think that the enemy is the one who is trying to discourage me from sharing. The truth is I am always amazed at the intricate details of each miraculous turn in my story and I love to hear the testimony of others who have experienced God's power in their lives. We cannot let the lies of the enemy or the busyness of life thwart the working of the Holy Spirit by keeping the us from sharing what we know to be true! We cannot let the wonder of God become second nature or common place, instead we must keep it out in front of all else so we do not forget nor take for granted who He is and to what lengths He will go to for His children. He did not send His Son to earth only to die a horrible death for no good reason. Such extraordinary measures were taken for us, for each one of us.
We all have a story and we need to share it. Each story may not look like miracle on the surface, but they are unique to the individual and God cares about each detail. Sharing our story is sharing God with others and we certainly cannot go wrong if we are talking about Him! So speak up. Share Him through your own history of how God has worked in your life.
