Coincidence or Favor?

“As it turned out, she found herself working in the field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelech.”  Ruth 2:3

 

The text states that “As it turned out, she found herself working in the field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelech.” (v. 3) Some might call that coincidence; I call it God’s grace. Of all the fields she could have chosen, she was led to this particular field where Boaz would notice her. He returns at a time when she is there, working diligently. He sees this young woman stooping and gathering behind his servant girls. He asks his work foreman about her who points out she is the Moabitess that returned with Naomi. It is obvious by that statement that her appearance in Bethlehem was well known. Her reputation has preceded her. The foreman also informs his boss of her steady work.

Immediately impressed with her loyalty Boaz decides to help her by offering for her to continue in his fields with his servant girls. He ordered his men not to touch her and told her to go get water from the jars the men have filled when she is thirsty. Ruth not expecting such a hospitable reaction is overwhelmed with the kindness of Boaz. “She bowed down with her face to the ground. She exclaimed, ‘Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me – a foreigner?’” Oh, humble nature of her servant heart. She did not see herself as worthy of this kindness offered to her by a stranger. God was providing a way for Ruth. He was paving the pathway for the greatest sacrifice, The Provider, for us all.

As Ruth returned day after day to the fields, her character was revealed as she stuck to the assigned task. She showed up, worked, and was blessed as a result. She shared what she gathered with her mother-in-law Naomi. She gave back.

In my life, I have found that God’s leftovers are much better than anything that I could have come up with on my own. His favor has reigned and coincidence is no longer an apt description in my vocabulary. In an effort to be self-sufficient, I have tried to follow my own plan for my life. I have resisted the nudging of the Holy Spirit to step out on faith in new directions. I have struggled with the fear of my own inadequacy and felt grossly ill-prepared for the tasks that have been laid out before me, but I have found that when I focus on God He leaves me the gleanings I need to be filled and equipped. He has never led me to a place, pointed me toward a task or put me in a situation that he did not also give me the tools to accomplish it.

Popular posts from this blog

Faithfulness in Waiting

A beginning, Day 4

God's Flashing Neon Sign