Judgement or Jesus

Preach the gospel

Not a day passes without a Facebook post, news story, grocery store discussion or workplace debate about the many opposing viewpoints on societal issues. Everyone has an opinion on which they staunchly stand proclaiming to anyone that will listen. Pro-life or pro-abortion, Obamacare or private insurance, gay rights or heterosexual marriages, tax increases or major spending cuts, open immigration or closed borders; all of these are consistently debated in this country by all. Each of these issues have multi-faceted extremely detailed arguments that each side can bring to the table.

In my experience, when examining my own viewpoints on many of these issues, I find that my stance has changed with age, life experience and with an ever-growing relationship with God. Differentiations that I once thought trivial are now major players in my decision making process. By taking a hard look at my own choices, I try to understand why someone else feels the way they do on a given subject.

While many of the loudest defenders in opposition to my beliefs are also the ones proclaiming tolerance and acceptance, I find that those same people often do not practice either unless you have like ideals. I do not support abortion because two wrongs will never make a right. I believe in heterosexual relationships for marriage. Good stewardship is always necessary with money and resources whether its for a government or personal finances. And, I believe that although this country was founded by immigrants, legal immigration that requires a respect of the laws, language and customs of the land is in order. If someone wants to come to this country because it will give them a better life and more freedom, then they need to acclimate to our customs not the other way around.

As a Christian, it has occurred to me that placing judgement or blame on others is not the way to go. We are all sinners, have made bad choices and none of us will be perfect this side of heaven. The biggest change in my attitudes and beliefs came because of Christ. It was the influence of the Holy Spirit in my heart that has placed me on the Rock where I stand. But, I also see that constant arguing will not change minds nor win others to Jesus. Does that mean I have to agree or support the beliefs of everyone else? No. What it means is that by offering love and friendship as He did, they might see more Jesus than they would have otherwise. Without words of condemnation or judgement, showing others respect, a new relationship might grow and Jesus will make the difference.

Popular posts from this blog

Faithfulness in Waiting

A beginning, Day 4

God's Flashing Neon Sign