Reconnection by Grace

Praying friend

Ever wonder about the plan God has for each of us and how it all fits together? Doubting that He has a plan is not an option, but trying to dissect that plan, trying to figure out how each intricate little puzzle piece fits into the next, well, that is something that can drive me crazy!

An amazing thing happened this week. As I was perusing my Facebook newsfeed one of those little strips of “People You May Know” popped up. I sometimes scroll through the film strip of individuals that this social networking program has somehow decided that I may know, or be interested in knowing, just to see if I do know any of them. Generally, it recommends people who may have common acquaintances. Sometimes there are many friends in common, but I still don’t know them, and at times there may only be one or two people we share friendships with. This week however, it was a bit different. It recommended a name that I had no “friends” in common with. A person who lives in Indiana and I live in Kentucky. But here is the interesting part… I actually did know her. I’ve known her since kindergarten at Windemere Elementary in Winter Garden, FL many, many years ago.

This woman was my best friend kindergarten through half of third grade. My family moved from Florida to Kentucky and I was heart broken to leave her behind. We wrote letters back and forth for years. She even met me at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom when we were in high school because the marching band I was in had visited Florida for a competition and we went to Disney while we were there. Unfortunately, at some point we lost track of each other. I found an email address for her a few years ago and we wrote a few times, but then we just stopped. 

Well, now, because of social media and I believe the grace of a loving God, I was able to friend her on Facebook just two days before she was scheduled to have a major aortic repair. Although we have not had the opportunity to chat or communicate much, I was able to send her my prayers and best wishes. I will be able to keep praying for her through her recovery as well as pray for her family. I do not know yet if there is another reason for this “chance” encounter with a friendship that began 41 years ago, but I do believe God ordained it for some reason. If prayer was that reason, then I will be faithful in that for her as I am for others in my life. If it is to have an opportunity to reconnect through her struggles, then I will be here watching her updates over the next few months as she recovers and heals. If it is to truly rekindle a friendship that once was everything to my 8 year old broken heart, then I will look forward to that as well. God is good and I will follow His lead in this. It’s a blessing to be praying for Carol!

Popular posts from this blog

Faithfulness in Waiting

A beginning, Day 4

God's Flashing Neon Sign