Holy Adoption
John 1:12-13
12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13 They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.
How does knowing you are God’s child affect your day-to-day choices?
What does is mean to be a child of God? How does this truth change the lives of those who accept His gift of salvation, adoption into the Holy family of the Most High? The moment that we receive the truth in our hearts and minds and confess that we believe that Jesus is the Savior, our Savior, then we are accepting the gift of adoption and eternal life by faith.
It is not by virtue of good deeds or even a well intentioned heart that we receive salvation, but entirely by the act of faith. All the good intentions we could muster would not inherit the relationship being offered. Being a good person and believing there is a God does not earn a place in glory. It is by the simple decision of the heart to accept that Jesus is the son of God and that he died for our sins that we may be reconciled to God.
Knowing that I do not have to earn my place in the family of God inspires my heart to want to allow Him to work in and through me. I know I do not deserve the gift I have been given but I want to share it with others. I want to love God with all I have to show my gratitude. I want to make choices in life that are in alignment with His will as revealed through His Word. The only way for me to know Him better, to know His will, is to study His Word regularly and allow the teachings of it to penetrate my heart, soul and mind.
Being in the Word influences everyday decisions and choices about entertainment, how I spend my time and what I talk about. It makes me think twice about how I treat others. I find that keeping God’s gift of grace foremost in my mind affects all I do and shows through the decisions I make and the actions I take. It is an every day thing too. The relationship must be maintained continually and not set to the wayside. Neglecting the Bible and not spending time in prayer has a negative affect as much as being faithful in discipleship is a positive influence.