In the beginning…

582292_512992405398133_1309633613_n[1]

John 1:1-5 (NLT)

Prologue: Christ, the Eternal Word

1 In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 He existed in the beginning with God.
3 God created everything through him,
and nothing was created except through him.
4 The Word gave life to everything that was created,
and his life brought light to everyone.
5 The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it.

 

As I begin this new year of 2013, I plunge into a new devotional book. This one is called the Life Application Study Bible Devotional. A one year study of the Gospels and Daily wisdom from the life of Jesus. With the focus each week on a different aspect of the life of Christ, or the character of Jesus, it is an opportunity to focus wholly on who Jesus is and what that means in the life of a Christian, in my life.

Today’s verse sets the stage for a great start not only for this year, but for a continually devoted life in Christ. No, I am not claiming perfection of any sort. No, I am not saying that I have arrived into a completely faithful existence on this dark fallen earth. What I am striving for is a better, deeper understanding of the person, the deity and the power of Jesus and how submitting my heart and life to him can change everything. I have no doubt that mistakes will be made, I am human after all, but God in His infinite wisdom provided for each of us a pathway back to Him. I want to not only choose to take the path marked out for me, but I want, at least to the best of my ability, to allow God to use me for His kingdom.

Jesus has “been” since the beginning. He was there. He was always a part of the plan of salvation to reconcile God’s children to himself. Jesus, living on earth was God incarnate and is still the Word of God in practice. We are all here because of him and through him alone. I want to recognize that in a refreshed and rejuvenating way this year. It is only fitting that as the verse talks about beginnings that I recognize the opportunity set out afresh today on a journey with Jesus. This promises to be a source of renewed thoughts, eternal perspectives and inspired ideals as I search for ways to strengthen my relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ.

 

Prayer-

Heavenly Father I praise you this morning for this new day and another year to serve you. Your love and faithfulness abound in my life and that of my family for which I am eternally thankful. I ask only that as each day goes by you help me see myself and others through the eyes of the Holy Spirit and allow you to love others through me. I want to know you better, to get to know your character, your will, and your way through your Word. May I recognize you in all things and seek you above everything.

In the name of Jesus,

Amen

Popular posts from this blog

Faithfulness in Waiting

A beginning, Day 4

God's Flashing Neon Sign