Deflection...Reflection and Glory

Jesus mirror

As I was sitting at my desk this morning reading and having my time with the LORD, He brought a friend to my mind. This friend has shared some struggles that he has had in his life confident that I would faithfully lift him in prayer. We talked about shame, guilt, discouragement and rejection. He has been wondering, because of the difficulty in this season of life, if he is experiencing a trial of sanctification or, because of his struggles with doubt, if indeed he is even saved at all.

He has read many books containing testimonials about freedom and forgiveness looking to discover their secrets and desperately longing to experience the same thing.  During our original discussion I reminded him that justification, being saved, occurred when he chose Christ as his savior and invited Him into his life. That sanctification is a process not an instantaneous event.  It is an ongoing journey, a transformation toward becoming more like Jesus. Now, I knew my friend was aware of the definitions of justification and sanctification. Not many people use those words in conversation if they do not have some idea of the meaning. What I wanted, and I believe God led me to remind him of, was that he needs to believe deep down in his heart not just his mind. He needs a knowing in his heart not just head knowledge. God is faithful to forgive us, but we must also be willing to forgive ourselves so we can live in the allusive freedom he so desired.

The Lord laid something on my heart for my friend today, which I shared with him this morning.  I am sharing the message i sent below. I hope in some way it may stir someone else’s soul with a subtle nudge toward true belief, deep heart” knowing" and surrender.

 

My prayer for you today is to experience revival in you soul. You said yesterday you could teach the Sunday School lesson on justification and sanctification. That means you have knowledge and understanding, but do you for some reason feel a weakening in you belief?

I know in my life I have noticed that when I do not feel good about myself, for whatever reason, I tend to deflect that on others and sometimes, in those self-deprecating seasons, I put God in the "Sandy" box. It's as though He is limited by what I feel. Bound by what my emotions are about myself, my circumstances and what I can do in my own strength. If this is you, and you will have to pray and do some soul searching to determine if it is the case, you may need to put God back where He belongs. He does not change. In Malachi 3:6-7 it says,“For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed. From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts."  

My friends, look for what is making the doubts, the shame and the discouragement thrive in your life. Are you letting that emotional roller coaster and your human limitations skew your view of God?  If so, identify it and seek to put a stop to it! Ask God to help you find the source and eliminate it. Instead of deflecting your situation and spilling it out on God and others, ask Him to help you bring glory to Him by taking him out of the box you put him in so you can begin to experience the freedom of His love and reflect His glory on those around you.

Popular posts from this blog

Faithfulness in Waiting

A beginning, Day 4

God's Flashing Neon Sign